An evaluation of the Mercedes Benz’s digital presence in the region led to the decision to reorganize its structure to have both brand and dealer sites under one roof. One of the biggest challenges was maintaining the website performance, while migrating to a new Content Management System (CMS), with changes to the structure, content and domain setup. Website migration typically results in dramatic loss of paid and organic traffic risking millions of dollars in lost revenue.
As part of this migration, we also used the opportunity to improve the digital contribution to Daimler’s overall monthly test-drives and sales.
Over 13 month period our challenge was to:
- Ensure zero traffic losses and increase website organic traffic by 70% during website migration
- Grow unique visitors via organic search by 50%
- Double (+100%) monthly online test-drives as share of overall test-drives
- Improve current online test-drive booking conversion rate of 0.44% by 30%
Reduce current cost per test-drive booking by 50%
One size fits all was not the best way forward so we deployed a real-time segmentation strategy, designed to maximize test-drive conversions by tailoring the site contents to the prospects’ prior media behavior through landing pages optimized on the fly.
In the automotive category, a brand’s online platform is increasingly its most important customer experience touchpoint as it plays a central role throughout the consumer purchase funnel. Mercedes Benz needed to upgrade the platform’s performance in order to improve consumer pathway to purchase, test-drive conversion rates and customer service capabilities. Focusing on our digital owned assets was the most cost efficient way to achieve the required sales uplift without increasing advertising/media investments.
All digital channels, including the website, were tagged to measure customer pathways, inbound searches and website behavior. Inbound visitors who were consuming large amounts of automotive content on other sites were considered a hot prospect and thus the landing pages were focused on conversion. We implemented multiple conversion rate optimization tests in real-time to decrease the bounce rate, while increasing the conversion rate and thus the number of test drive bookings Mercedes Benz gets from different channels. The real-time testing was implemented on both the desktop and mobile versions of the website.
Results over the 13 month period (APR 2014 – MAY 2015) exceeded all targets:
- Organic traffic increased by 101% (44% above target)
- Unique visitors via organic search increased by 94% (88% above target)
- Monthly online test-drive bookings increased by 211% from all traffic sources and 248% via organic traffic (111% above target)
- The online test-drive conversion rate increased by 73% to 0.76% (143% above target)
- Cost per test-drive conversion was 65% more cost efficient than target